Terms & Conditions
Updated June 27, 2019
Knowledge Group of Companies, organisers of conferences including “BankTech Asia”, “Smart Cities Asia”, “NextBigTech Asia”, “Electronic Packaging Convention Asia”, “insurTECH Asia” and “Malaysia Tech Week” (each, a “Conference”), is committed to protecting your personal information. We invite you to read this Terms & Conditions, which explains the types of information collected and created in connection with the relevant Conference, how and why we use such information, who we share it with and your legal rights.
Unless indicated otherwise, this Terms & Conditions relates to our use of any personal information we collect or use in relation to the following services (collectively, the “Services”):
– the Conference
– the Conference websites and their related subdomains including those pertaining to registration for attendance at the Conference and to be a volunteer at the Conference;
– the Conference apps;
– online surveys relating to the Conference;
– messages sent via the Conference support portal; and
– the Conference official social media channels.
2. Information we collect
When we provide the Services, we collect and receive information in several different ways. In many cases, you choose what information to provide, although some information is required for us to provide you the Services.
2.1 Directly from you, or approved third parties. We collect a variety of information from you when you provide it to us directly, when we request it from you, or when you give us permission to get it from a third party source.
– Attendee registration information. When you register to attend a Conference, you must provide us with basic information such as name, address, email address, telephone number. We also give you the option to provide additional information.
– Payment and credit card information. When purchasing tickets to attend a Conference, you must provide us with your name, address, telephone number, email address, credit card, debit card or bank information. This information will only be shared with third parties such as our ticketing partner, Evenesis, who perform tasks required to complete the purchase transaction.
– Conference app profile information. To attend a Conference, you are required to download a Conference app. You will have the option of providing us with additional profile information in the Conference app, such as name and email address, and whether you want your profile information to be discoverable within the app by other attendees and partners of the Conference.
– Conference survey responses. We may ask you to participate in optional surveys regarding your experience at the Conference in order to help us improve the event and for related commercial purposes.
– Call recordings. We may contact you for the purposes of sales, investment, or in the context of your past or future attendance at or participation in a Conference. In certain cases, we may record such calls for our legitimate interests in staff training and development.
2.2 From your browser or device.
We automatically collect certain information from your browser or device when you use certain Services or read a message from us. For example, we collect data regarding the device you are using, such as its unique identifier and operating system; logs will be recorded by our servers based on the information sent from your app or browser; and information may be recorded by cookies and similar technologies when you use the Services.
3. How we use your information
We use your information in order to provide, operate, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services, including:
3.1 Providing and improving the requested Services. We use your personal information as necessary to run the Conference, such as to register attendees, issue tickets, facilitate information sharing with partners with whom you have consented for us to share information, and provide you with relevant connections and content during the Conference based on this information and your use of the Conference app.
3.2 Communicating with you. We use your personal information to contact you regarding your registration to attend, volunteer or speak at a Conference, to notify you of any changes to our policies and practices, for commercial, sales or investment purposes, and to respond to any requests or inquiries you may submit to us. If you subscribe to marketing, such as newsletters, we will use your information as described below. We may collect information from these communications to improve our Services and for the training and development of our staff
3.3 Marketing. If you opt-in to receiving marketing communications from us, we will use your personal information for outreach and marketing, such as to send you information about our future Conferences and to exhibit attending companies. You can opt-out of these communications by using the unsubscribe links in our communications or by changing your Conference app settings. We may also use your information in order to market the Conferences. For example, we sometimes use your image in our published list of Conference attendees. If you want to object to this use, please contact us here at email@example.com
4. Our legitimate interests
As indicated above, in certain cases we use your information where necessary to pursue our, your and others’ legitimate interests, including where necessary to:
– Keep the Services safe and secure. We use your information as it is necessary to pursue our legitimate interests, or those of our attendees, our volunteers or our partners in ensuring the Conference is a safe and secure event, such as enforcing our Terms and Conditions. We also act in the legitimate interests of these parties with respect to our Conference website, app and other Services, such as by implementing and enhancing security measures and protections and protecting against fraud, spam and abuse.
– Provide, develop and improve the Services. We process your information as necessary to pursue our legitimate interests in improving the Conference and our other Services, such as our Conference websites and apps. For example, we use your information in order to conduct access control and enforce security at the Conferences. We also use your information to conduct data analysis and analytics across our Services. In certain cases, and where you have not objected, we may record sales and other calls to you for our business interests in the training and development of our staff.
– Market the Services. We process your information in accordance with our legitimate interests of marketing the Conference and the Services to you. For example, we use your information to market future Conferences to you and to exhibit attending companies. We may also use your image in our marketing materials in order to highlight the attendees participating in the Conferences. We also use photos and audiovisual footage from past Conferences which may contain your image or voice. If you want to exercise your right to object to any of these uses please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Sharing with third parties
We share information with attendees, service providers, affiliates, partners, and other third parties where it is necessary, to provide the Services, and for other purposes described in the Terms & Conditions.
5.1 Sharing with other attendees. Our Services, such as the Conference app, provides attendees with the means of making connections with other attendees. For example, the profile information that you choose to provide us will be accessible to other attendees of the Conference, subject to your settings. QR code scanning functionality on your badge is activated by default. You can provide your information to other attendees and partners by allowing them to scan the QR code on your attendee badge. Once this happens, you may consent to the sharing of your contact information with these individuals and companies.
5.2 Marketing. In order to further our legitimate interests in marketing the Services, we rely on third-party marketing platforms and service providers to assist us and perform certain marketing services for us.
5.3 Third party service providers. We may share your personal information to help us operate, provide, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services. These third parties provide us with services including for customer support, data storage and website hosting, ticketing and payments processing, legal advice and compliance, and marketing and data analysis. These third parties are contractually required to use it only to provide their service to us, and prohibited from using it for their own purposes.
5.4 Aggregated information. We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, such as counts of attendee job titles or their affiliated companies, with companies we do business with, including our advertisers, partners as well as other organisational members.
5.5 Sharing with Sponsors. We share information with selected sponsors for our events only where it is necessary and for other purposes described in the Terms & Conditions.
6. Data retention
We will retain your personal information for as long as is necessary, up to a period of three years after such information is collected, to achieve the purposes set out in this Terms & Conditions, such as to provide you with the Services. If we record a call to you for training and development purposes, we will delete the recording after a period of 4 weeks. We may also need to retain some of your information for a longer period to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations, to resolve disputes, and to enforce our Terms of Service.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We strive to use appropriate technical and organisational to protect your personal information. Despite these measures, the Internet is not a fully secure environment and we cannot guarantee that your personal information won’t be intercepted or improperly accessed.
8. Changes to this Terms & Conditions
We may update this Terms & Conditions from time to time so please review it occasionally. If we make material changes, we will take steps to notify you. The date of the most recent revisions will appear on the top of this page.
If you have any questions or concerns about this Terms & Conditions or our privacy practices generally, or if you would like to exercise your statutory rights, you can contact us at:
Knowledge Group of Companies
B-13-5, Megan Avenue 2
No. 12, Jalan Yap Kwan Seng
50450 Kuala Lumpur
You can contact us at email@example.com